Why does Creedence Clearwater Revival haunt me so?





I was at work the other day and the Alice Cooper show was on the radio, which is far more acceptable than the other tortuous stations they play. Alice excitedly introduced this CCR song, I began to feel myself getting anxious, nervous almost. The song began, I knew every nuance, every note, then Johnny boy lets in with one of his YyyyEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHs. I was on my way to the bathroom, but this made me quicken my pace.
I never had any bad things happen to me while listening to CCR, not that I know of.
I remember my brother Mark (5 years older) had a buddy around 71-72 who was a cool dude wore round sunglasses, like they did in CCR, check flannellys, like CCR. I thought he was something to aspire to. He and Mark used to play CCR and I thought that was cool.
There was something about the cover of Cosmo's Factory, with the guys just hanging, probably stoned, playing with bikes and stuff, drinking soda. I looked at that cover a lot. It was everywhere, everyone had it, along with Free live, Zepplin 1234 HOTH, Beatles. It was normal, it was young people music, it raawked with all the elements: Rock & Roll, Rock a Billy, Country Rock, Blues Rock, even a bit of psyche Rock (intro to Born on the Bayou), Cajun and straight up bubble gum pop.
I guess one thing that interrupts ignorance is knowledge, you think you've discovered something new, but it's just a composite of other things you don't know about. but then again I don't dislike Steely Dan because they used obvious blues and jazz references, nor Little Feat, nor T Rex for copping Eddie Cochran. Those influences gently lead me towards the real thing and then I was able to reflect on how tastefully they reinterpreted their influences.
There is a heck of a lot of music that I'm supposed to like: Van Morrison, The Doors, The Who, but I don't particularly. Then there's bands that no one should like, like: The Police, U2, the current top 40, Australian Crawl, Men at Work and so on. But NONE of these bands disturb me like CCR. 
The song that day kept going round and round and round in my head. WHY? I think it was the rollin and comin' around the bend Doo Doo Doo one. I tried so hard to clear it from my head I've forgotten.
There is every likelihood that something dreadful did happen to me whilst listening to the Foggerty howl as child, there was a lot stuff going on in those backwoods burbs, a regular Peyton Place meets Jim Thompson paddock of sleazy pulp fiction.  But I think it just comes down to: If you dig Elvis, Hank, The Band, Little Milton, Howling Wolf, Dr John, the Byrds and Crazy Horse there's only so many Doo Doo Doos you can take.




1 comment:

  1. Conversely, CCR is the one band that me and my folks can all agree to like - just a rockin' little outfit with an almost complete absence of showbiz - a cookin' rhythm section and a guy who could sing like a mofo for a 23-year-old. But you're right about the excess of 'doos'.

    Mr Dave

    ReplyDelete